Computer Broken

All off-topic discussions (not concerning Dream-Evil) are to be held here.
Chasinlicious
Server Administrator

Computer Broken

Post by Chasinlicious »

Hi,

So I was playing CSS And i got an update Icon about Java so I installed the latest JAVA update and after the install was finished my screen went all black. I restarted My computer but nothing works, all black. Not even in safe modus, A friend tried to help me but nothing actually works. I think JAVA destroyed my software somewhere, but the thing is My mate installed the update and didn't got any problems with it. Now there is a little chance it can be a virus that pretends as an application. (rootkit) If that's the problem my PC must be formated I think since you cant do anything with a black screen not even CMD. I Called my friend Which has my Vista CD to recover or format my PC Myself, Having a good friend irl helping me with it. I can't get on CSS since The computer im playing on now doesnt Require the Needs,So I tought i'll post a thread on Dream Evils forum about this. I probably wont be onn for a week or somthing, things like this just happen...
:?
Doggie52
Site Admin
Steam Username: tstridsberg

Re: Computer Broken

Post by Doggie52 »

That's really sad! But formats and re-installs go fairly quick for me, though of course I've done it 50+ times by now :D .
« ASUS P7P55D-E LX » « Intel i5 760 4-core @ 2.8GHz » « OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB » « ASUS nVidia GTX260 » « OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CL7 » « CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus » « Logitech G5 Laser » « 2x PHILIPS 19" @ 1440x900 »
NickCPC
Server Administrator
Steam Username: NickCPC

Post by NickCPC »

Haha it is a pain. Have you managed to take out the HDD and put it in a host computer? Then you can copy over all your music/documents/photos/films etc. before formatting. If you have the setup DVD you should be able to put that in your DVD drive and boot off it, and there is a command prompt and system restore functions on there (at least if you have the retail Vista DVD).

If you do need to format, put Windows 7 on :D
Doggie52 wrote:But formats and re-installs go fairly quick for me, though of course I've done it 50+ times by now :D
Same, I think I can now install XP without having a screen (I can remember the keystroke sequences XD) and Windows 7 is just a doddle :D
Gaming Rig :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, EVGA GTX1070, 16GB Corsair DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, 10 Pro x64 | Work Rig :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD Firepro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64
Hendrix
Server Administrator
Steam Username: Frazze

Post by Hendrix »

Heh I got that too while playing CSS, its an CSS virus bug I think, but since I use a Apple computer I got two system, Mac and XP so the virus didnt really bite on me somehow, and why I know that is becuase me friends had this problem with regular computers.

The thing I did is was turning off the computer, plugged out the electric and plugged in again and it started and It worked, for like some minutes if you was moving the mouse and such stuff, so I made a virus scan and detected the virus and removed it and here I'm =)
Jipneke
Server Administrator
Steam Username: leroywilly

Post by Jipneke »

As doggie said,

to fix your computer yourself experience is point 1.
as I may speak for doggie.. he builds his own computer systems just like I do.
Making/applying/modifying software/hardware will result in knowledge.

As we (me and doggie) both own a windows 2008 server, we certainly no regular windows users.

Formatting / installing new apps or system/servers that come without an manual is just trying till it works.

I may be running a new gungame server on windows 2008 if doggie stands in.

back to topic..

what do the lights on your motherboard say? system ok? or what
anyway..
for the future..

Make sure you use more than 1 partition or backup your files..
If your harddisk crashes you lose everything..
but.., when reinstalling windows on partition 1 and keeping your files on partition 2
You'll never have to worry about losing files.. (accept for harddisk crahs as I said)

Just something I learned from my self after losing files thanks to noobisch dad that formatted my desktop..

Proud owner of a solidstatedisk! :D

running on: Vista, Windows 7 & Windows Server 2008!

Greets

Jippie
Doggie52
Site Admin
Steam Username: tstridsberg

Post by Doggie52 »

Jipneke, don't forget Nick - his level of hardware-knowledge is equivalent to mine, if not higher!

But indeed, I've encountered a wide variety of problems when building and maintaining computers, and overcome most of them. Knowledge comes from experience, experience from practise.

Solid-state drives are cool, but their performance decreases over time which is rather troubling if you ask me :/ .
« ASUS P7P55D-E LX » « Intel i5 760 4-core @ 2.8GHz » « OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB » « ASUS nVidia GTX260 » « OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CL7 » « CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus » « Logitech G5 Laser » « 2x PHILIPS 19" @ 1440x900 »
Jipneke
Server Administrator
Steam Username: leroywilly

Post by Jipneke »

Na, when you receive a free Kingston SSD you won't complain.

And about the hardware knowledge.. that level will be higher upon your side (Doggie & Nick)..
Everyone there specialty's.

As I get stuck by setting the static ports on a win 2008 server, because of the fact I don't have any experience with that (only teamspeakservers on XP and COD1 (yes call of duty 1) servers.
You doggie all fixed it so you could get the css server running.

Anyway, manufacturing your own computer is the start of a lifetime of computer related experience.

Jip